We’ve had 90-degree temps and high humidity for the past two days, which made this the perfect weekend to hang out in my air-conditioned craft room and clean up some UFOs. I finished two pairs of capri-length pajama pants, fixed a pile of shirts and shorts that have been waiting for mending, mixed up three batches of bath salts, hung a wall quilt that’s been sitting on the corner of my work table for months just waiting for a dowel rod, and made a Date Night Clutch from this pattern by Diane Stanley.
The clutch uses an 8″x3″ frame so it’s larger than it appears in the photos. It has an inside zipper pocket, an inside slip pocket and an insert for credit cards and cash, so it holds a LOT. I bought the frame from this Etsy shop.
The outer bag construction is really simple but it took several tries before I wrapped my head around how to make the insert, which is one long piece of fabric with multiple folds to create all the pockets. I made a test version out of some scrap fabric first and I’m glad I did. The pattern calls for it to be edged with binding and I tried that on my test piece (in pink, below), but I didn’t like it. The binding was bulky, my seams went all wonky and it looked sloppy. When I made the final version, I folded the whole thing wrong sides together, stitched the two sides and turned it right side out so there were no raw edges. Much better!
I LOVE how this turned out and I can’t wait to use it!