I’ve been short on free time lately so quick craft projects have been a high priority. This Valentine’s Day embroidery hoop was just the thing – it took less than an hour to put together and I made it from scraps from my fabric stash.
To make one, you’ll need:
- A wooden embroidery hoop – I used a 14-3/4″ hoop but you can use any size you like
- Background fabric large enough to cover the hoop
- Scrap fabric for the hearts
- Pellon Lite EZ Steam II or similar double-sided iron-on adhesive
- Rickrack, ribbon or other flat trim
Cut a circle from your background fabric that’s approximately 2″ wider than the diameter of your embroidery hoop.
Draw your heart shapes on the paper side of the iron-on adhesive, then apply the adhesive to the back side of your fabric scraps following the manufacturer’s instructions. Cut out the heart shapes, center them on the background fabric and fuse into place. Stitch around the edges of the shapes with a zigzag or fancy stitch.
Center the fabric in the embroidery hoop and screw the outer ring tightly into place. Turn the hoop over and trim off the excess fabric from the back side. Hot glue rickrack or trim around the edge of the hoop on the front side.
Hang it up and admire your work!